Fecha

Word Stress


Word Stress

In Spanish, adjectives are stressed more than nouns are. In English it's the opposite.

typical mistake: should be:
That's a nice car. That's a nice car.
He's an intelligent man. He's an intelligent man.

Similarly, Spanish speakers tend to place the most stress in the first part of a phrase or sentence, whereas American stress the ending more. Remember to place the most emphasis on the last content word of each sentence.

typical mistake: should be:
I drove my car. I drove my car.
I went to the bank. I went to the bank.

Other common word stress errors:

typical mistake: should be:
I should go. I should go.
Turn it off. Turn it off.
UCLA. UCLA.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you very much for this tips. It is something very important to take in consideration.

Post a Comment

Thank you!