Fecha

Rules and Regulations at School > I Don't Think You're Allowed to...


Tell people they aren't allowed to do things, using Impersonal expressions with you, gerunds, and infinitives.

Tell somebody that what they're doing isn't allowed.

I Don't Think You're Allowed to...

"NO PLAYING BALL IN THE PARK"

Dialog
A: Excuse me, (1) but I don't think you're allowed to (2) play ball in the park.
B: Oh?
A: Yes. There's a sign over there that says so.
B: Hmm. I guess I didn't notice it. Thanks for telling me.
A: You're welcome.

Functions
(1) Attracting Attention
Excuse me,
Perdon me,

(2) Indicating Permissibility
I don't think you're allowed to
I don't think you're permitted to
I don't think people are allowed to
I don't think people are permitted to
I don't think ...-ing is allowed.
I don't think ...-ing is permitted.

Exercises
1) "NO PARKING IN THIS BLOCK"
2) "PLEASE DON'T TALK IN THE LIBRARY"
3) "NO SKATING"
4) "PLEASE DON'T WALK ON THE GRASS"
5) "NO JAYWALKING"

Grammar
Impersonal Expressions with You
Impersonal Expressions are expressions that use impersonal pronouns. Impersonal expressions do not have a specific person or thing as the subject. In English we use the non-specific it or you. The it or you do not refer specifically to the listener.

You
I don't think you're allowed to play ball in the park.

Gerunds and Infinitives
Gerunds and infinitives are forms of verbs that act like nouns. They can follow adjectives and other verbs. Gerunds can also follow prepositions.

A gerund is a noun formed from a verb by adding -ing. Not all words formed with -ing are gerunds.

An infinitive is the basic form of a verb, usually used with to (to + the verb).

When a verb follows a verb it either takes the gerund or infinitive form.

The best way to learn their correct use is with practice.

Gerunds
I don't think playing ball in the park is allowed.

Infinitives
I don't think you're allowed to play ball in the park.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you!